Frequently Asked Questions

What is your mailing address, telephone number and how can I send a fax?

Berlin Police Department

108 Shed Road

Berlin VT 05602

802-223-4401 (business line)

802-223-4402 (fax number)

911 or 223-4400 (emergency number)

My car was hit in a parking lot in Berlin, what should I do?
If you saw the other vehicle, call us immediately.  If you don’t know who hit you, stop by the PD during normal business hours, with the vehicle that was hit.  You will need to bring your driver’s license, registration, and valid insurance card to complete a form.  This process should take no more than fifteen minutes.  It’s a good idea to call the office first at 223-4401 to ensure someone will be available to meet with you.

How can I get a copy of an accident/collision report your police department investigated?
Complete a written request that contains the name(s) of the operator(s), date of incident, and road which it occurred.  Your request should contain a return address and telephone number.  The fee, payable by check, is $25 and must be paid prior to release of the report.

Are you hiring police officers?
We are often seeking qualified candidates to become police officers in Berlin.  Those interested in employment should send a letter of interest/intent and resume to the PD’s address.  A packet will then be mailed to the applicant upon receipt and should be returned as soon as possible for consideration.  We are regularly hiring both full and part-time officers therefore please specify which type of employment is being sought.

I was involved in a traffic collision; do I need to fill out an accident report?
Whether or not a collision is investigated by a police officer, operators must report all collisions with personal injury or property damage in excess of $1,000, to the VT Department of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours.  A specific form can be obtained either online at the VT Department of Motor Vehicles website, at your local Motor Vehicles office, or police station.  In order to complete this form, you will need to have a copy of the other driver’s information (if applicable).  Once completed, the form will be mailed directly to the VT Department of Motor Vehicles.

I was written a check which was returned by the bank for insufficient funds, account closed, or was because it was forged.  What should I do?
Please call 223-4401 for more information.

What can I do about shoplifters?
Please call 223-4401 for more information.